Palazzo Serbelloni is much more than just a monumental palace...
Palazzo Serbelloni, one of Milan’s historic buildings, was dreamt about, thought about then constructed between 1779 and 1794 by Cantoni, the great architect from Canton Ticino in Switzerland.
Fervently desired by Grand duke Gabrio and completed by Duke Gian Galeazzo, the last direct descendent of the family, the Palazzo had to be enormous in scope and monumental in size to consecrate the social status of the Serbelloni Dukes in Milan’s social life and act as a catalyst for political and cultural events important to the Duke and the city.
In the course of its long history, the Palazzo has welcomed many illustrious people, in particular Napoleon Bonaparte and his wife, Joséphine de Beauharnais, who stayed at the Palazzo quite at length.
Mozart had the pleasure of walking in its gardens. Prince Eugene of Hapsburg, Metternich, Radetzky, Napoleon III and Victor Emanuel II all appreciated the Palazzo’s majestic staterooms and its classical perfection.
Over the centuries, the Palazzo changed hands many times. Marquis Busca Arconati inherited the Palazzo from the Serbelloni family; he left it to the Counts of Sola Cabiati and finally it was inherited by the Lalatta and Gola families.
In January 2011, under the Presidency of Dr. Emilio Gola, the Fondazione Serbelloni was instituted to enhance the civic role the Palazzo was destined to play through the opening of its monumental salons to artistic and media events, bringing new life to it.
For the first time in its history, from March to September of 2012, the Napoleonic Wing on the piano nobile underwent a vast conservative restoration project. At the same time, it was equipped with state-of-the-art technology so events of all types could be held there.
As the President of the Fondazione is fond of saying, “Palazzo Serbelloni is more than just a palace; it’s a vision of a past world and way of thinking that welcomed great ideas and great men... and is still open to innovation as its originator, Gabrio Serbelloni, had intended from the beginning...”